Todd Hazelwood and Lee Holdsworth were the surprising stars of the final race at Sydney Motorsport Park.
Hazelwood raced with the big guns in the early laps and even had a stint in the lead with his Holden Commodore before Holdsworth stormed home for second place in his Ford Mustang.
But, once again, Scott McLaughlin took the chocolates with his second win from three starts in the Supercars comeback meeting.
McLaughlin marginally extended his series lead to 49 points over evergreen Jamie Whincup, who was his most consistent challenger in the Red Bull-HRT Commodore.
“Car 17 was too fast today. We’re disappointed we couldn’t do more,” says Whincup.
Once again, a wide variety of tyre strategies – and differing tyre condition – saw mix-and-mismatch racing with a race that was more like a snakes-and-ladders game.
- When Scott McLaughlin raced to a 3-second early lead it looked like a repeat of Race 1 on Saturday. That’s how it panned-out, as the Shell V-Power team had save four good Dunlops for his final stint.
- Shane van Gisbergen never looked like a contender and was mugged more than once as he battled to get the best from a car that was sub-optimal for rubber.
- Great racing again with battles through to the back of the Top 10, from the early laps to the dying stages.
- James Courtney was the first to pit for tyres and paid a huge penalty, training the other three Tickford Mustangs to the flag.
- Chaz Mostert was deep in the ’teens in a race where his efforts in the first two races were erased.
- David Reynolds finished his comeback from a miserable Race 1 with fourth place, and his Erebus team mate Anton de Pasqale also stormed through the final laps for seventh.
- “What a cool weekend,” says Mark Skaife, wrapping the Fox broadcast.
Race 9 Result
|1||Shell V-Power Racing Team||Scott McLaughlin||Ford Mustang GT||32||50:20.268|
|2||Truck Assist Racing||Lee Holdsworth||Ford Mustang GT||32||50:21.787|
|3||Red Bull Holden Racing Team||Jamie Whincup||Holden Commodore||32||50:31.519|
|4||Penrite Racing||David Reynolds||Holden Commodore||32||50:44.696|
|5||IRWIN Racing||Mark Winterbottom||Holden Commodore||32||50:45.915|
|6||Red Bull Holden Racing Team||Shane van Gisbergen||Holden Commodore||32||50:46.785|
|7||Penrite Racing||Anton de Pasquale||Holden Commodore||32||50:47.218|
|8||Brut Military Grade||Todd Hazelwood||Holden Commodore||32||50:47.397|
|9||Dunlop Super Dealer Racing||Nick Percat||Holden Commodore||32||50:48.265|
|10||Mobil 1 TM Middy’s Racing||Bryce Fullwood||Holden Commodore||32||50:49.017|
|11||Supercheap Auto Racing||Jack Le Brocq||Ford Mustang GT||32||50:52.127|
|12||DEWALT Racing||Scott Pye||Holden Commodore||32||50:55.915|
|13||Monster Energy Racing||Cameron Waters||Ford Mustang GT||32||50:57.127|
|14||Boost Mobile Racing||James Courtney||Ford Mustang GT||32||50:57.730|
|15||NED Whisky Racing||Andre Heimgartner||Ford Mustang GT||32||51:00.891|
|16||Mobil 1 TM Appliances Online||Chaz Mostert||Holden Commodore||32||51:04.022|
|17||Castrol Racing||Rick Kelly||Ford Mustang GT||32||51:06.925|
|18||SCT Motor Sports||Jack Smith||Holden Commodore||32||51:07.283|
|19||Yellow Cover Racing||Garry Jacobson||Holden Commodore||32||51:08.330|
|20||Team CoolDrive||Macauley Jones||Holden Commodore||32||51:09.668|
|21||Local Legends Racing||Alex Davison||Holden Commodore||32||51:10.097|
|22||UNIT Racing||Jake Kostecki||Holden Commodore||32||51:10.864|
|23||Team SYDNEY||Chris Pither||Holden Commodore||32||51:37.651|
|NC||Shell V-Power Racing Team||Fabian Coulthard||Ford Mustang GT||31||49:25.288|